Step 1: Enable console access
Having read-only access to the interface of your technology allows Expel to dig deeper when performing incident investigations. Our device health team uses this access to investigate potential health issues with your tech.
- In the Cortex XDR Pro console, create a user for Expel. We recommend naming the user soc+<yourcompanyname>@expel.io.
- Set the user role to Security Admin, from the list of predefined roles. https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/cortex/cortex-xdr/cortex-xdr-pro-admin/get-started-with-cortex-xdr-pro/manage-cortex-xdr-roles/administrative-roles.html The Security Admin role grants us the right to “triage and investigate alerts and incidents, respond (excluding Live Terminal), and edit profiles and policies.”
- Provide user credentials to Expel during Step 3.
Step 2: Generate API credentials
To integrate the technology with Expel, we need to create secure credentials to the API. Depending on the permissions allowed in Step 1, Expel may be able to generate API credentials. If you're unsure, reach out to your Expel Customer Success Engineer, or email email@example.com.
- In the Cortex XDR Pro console, navigate to settings: (a gear icon) > Settings > API Keys.
- Click the Copy URL button and save the output, as you need it later.
- In the upper right corner, click the blue New Key button.
- In the Generate API Key window, make sure that the Security Level is set as Advanced.
- Make sure that the role includes all “Investigation” options selected (we recommend Security Admin). The Security Admin role grants us the ability to “triage and investigate alerts and incidents, respond (excluding Live Terminal), and edit profiles and policies.”
- Click the blue Generate button.
- Be sure to copy the generated credentials as you can't access them again.
- After it's generated, note your API Key ID.
Step 3: Configure the technology in Workbench
Now that we have all the correct access configured and noted the credentials, we can integrate Cortex XDR Pro with Expel Workbench.
Register device in Expel Workbench
- In a new browser tab, log into https://workbench.expel.io.
- On the console page, navigate to Settings and click Security Devices.
- At the top right of the page, select Add Security Device.
- Search for and select your technology Cortex XDR Pro.
- Complete all fields using the credentials and information you collected in Step 1 and Step 2 above.
- For Name type the hostname of the device.
- For Location type the geographic location of the appliance.
- For URL type your Cortex XDR Pro URL.
- For API key type the API generated in Step 2.
- For API key ID type the Key ID noted in Step 2.
- Username and Password type username and password created in Step 1.
- Click Save.
After a few minutes, refresh the Security Devices page and you see your device status reporting as Healthy, or if there is an issue, you see details of what the issue may be.
To check if alerts are coming through, navigate to Alerts on the console page. Click the icon in the upper right to switch to grid view, then check the list for device alerts.
Cortex API Routes we use