Step 1: Enable console access
Having read-only access to the interface of your technology allows Expel to dig deeper when performing incident investigations. Our device health team uses this access to investigate potential health issues with your tech.
Adding a new user
- Navigate to Admin > Accounts and click Add.
- Add user’s email address, soc+<org_name>@expel.io and select Read Only User Role for the account.
- Click Send Invitation. Account registration is completed by Expel after the registration email is received.
Step 2: Generate API credentials
To integrate the technology with Expel, we need to create secure credentials to the API. Depending on the permissions allowed in Step 1, Expel may be able to generate API credentials. If you're unsure, reach out to your Expel Customer Success Engineer, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use your admin account to create an API Key. This can be found under Admin > API Keys:
- At the prompt, select Umbrella Reporting:
- Copy both the Key and the Secret provided. Also make a note of your Organization ID. This can be determined by the URL for your dashboard, as there is a 7 digit number: https://dashboard.umbrella. com/o/xxxxxxx/
Use these to configure your technology in Workbench in the next step.
Step 3: Configure the technology in Workbench
Now that we have all the correct access configured and noted the credentials, we can integrate your tech with Expel.
- Login to https://workbench.expel.io.
- Navigate to Settings > Security Devices.
- At the top right of the page, select Add New Device.
- Search for and select your technology.
- Complete all fields using the credentials and information you collected in Step 1 and Step 2.
- Click Save.
After a few minutes, refresh the Security Devices page and you see your device status reporting as Healthy, or if there is an issue, you see details of what the issue may be.
To check if alerts are coming through, navigate to Alerts on the console page. Click the icon in the upper right to switch to grid view, then check the list for device alerts.